Why not see the best views in London while you tuck into tea, scones, and all the trimmings of a traditional afternoon tea on the Thames? Book online today.
York Self Drive Boat
- Per person Group of max. 8 people
Red Boat Hire in York
Take the helm onboard your own self-drive motor boat! Book a morning Red Boat hire in advance or a weekday afternoon hire.
Why not try your hand at skippering your own boat by hiring one of the fleets of Self-Drive Red Boats?! They are fantastic fun, safe, and easy to drive.
Enjoy a leisurely maximum -hour hire, exploring York from the helm of your own self-drive motorboat. Become a captain and explore the sites of York’s riverside in style!
- The boats can accommodate up to 8 people and so provide plenty of room for you all to head out on your own aquatic adventure, exploring the same river that brought the Vikings to the beautiful city.
- You will receive full instructions on how to operate your motorboat along with the safety and river rules, whilst life jackets will be provided for any children.
- Boats leave every 30 minutes from 10:00 AM but self-drive boats are for 1 hour.
- When booking, you are required to arrive at the Red Boat Hire Point 15 minutes before the time of hire to allow time for the rules of the river, area of operation, and boat handling instructions to be explained. Should you arrive late then you will lose your booking.
A minimum, returnable cash security bond of £40 is required for all hires. The security deposits must be paid in full cash by cash upon arrival at the landing.
Part or all of the deposit will be retained if:
- The boat is more than 10 minutes late returning to the landing (unless the hirer can satisfy the Red Boat Staff that there is a valid reason).
- The boat is excessively dirty and requires more than 5 minutes of cleaning.
- The boat is damaged in any way.
- Please note that we or our agents reserve the right to refuse single-sex groups
Red Boat operating area, so with a one hour hire you will be able to take in the whole city from the river.
Please note that the Red Boats cannot be taken past Clifton Bridge or the Millennium Bridge. You are not allowed to moor the boat up and disembark at any point on the river other than at our Red Boat Hire Point at King’s Staith.
The person hiring the Red Boat must be at least 18 years old and be able to provide a valid means of ID. People under the influence of alcohol are not permitted onboard and no alcohol is to be taken on board. You are more than welcome to bring a picnic and soft drinks along with you to enjoy onboard.
- The hirer MUST be 18 years or over, you may be asked to provide ID.
- The hirer MUST NOT be under the influence of alcohol or drugs.
- Maximum of 8 people per boat.
- All children under the age of 10 MUST wear a lifejacket.
- The hirer MUST read and abide by the RULES OF THE RIVER, which are displayed on board.
- The hourly charge and security deposit MUST be paid in full by cash before the boat is let.
- We or agents reserve the right to refuse to hire a Red Boat to anyone deemed likely to breach the terms of hire. All male or all female parties may be refused to hire.
- The hire will be terminated if customer behavior is seen to be/reported to be unacceptable.